TEAM NEWS: Cantwell and Buendia target Premier League injury returns; McLean and Amadou doubts for Burnley
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia will aim to return to action against Newcastle after Daniel Farke ruled both out of Norwich City’s FA Cup tie at Burnley on Saturday.
Buendia is making decent progress after sitting out the midweek 2-1 league defeat at Tottenham with a quad problem, but still faces a battle to be fit. Farke revealed at Colney on Friday afternoon Cantwell has a hamstring issue following the trip to Spurs and will not be risked at Turf Moor.
Kenny McLean (hip) and Ibrahim Amadou (knee) are doubts but Ralf Fahrmann (knee) and Mario Vrancic (shin) come back into the mix.
"Emi, no chance for this game but it improves from day to day. A little chance he could be available for the Newcastle game. Let's see how he is the other side of the weekend," said Farke. "Todd, not available. He got some hamstring problems after Tottenham. Nothing too serious but this turnaround is too quick.
"Two question marks behind Kenny McLean, he has a knock on his hip, and Ibrahim Amadou has a slight knee problem and he will be tested later today (Friday). Mario is alright. He just had to cut short the last training session before Tottenham but he was able to re-join team training on Thursday and he is available."
You may also want to watch:
Farke confirmed Tim Krul is set for a rest at Burnley if Fahrmann comes through the final training session unscathed.
"If I am going to rest one player it will be Tim Krul. He is a great leader in the dressing room but in our situation there is a lot of mental load on the keeper so if Ralf is available we will go with him and Michael McGovern," said Farke. "We have another training session this afternoon. But we want to travel with our strongest squad."
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
That includes both Teemu Pukki and Josip Drmic, which could limit Adam Idah's chances of a cup encore after his hat-trick in the previous round at Preston.
"Adam is always in my thoughts but there is tough competition because Teemu and Josip is available. There will be no gifts," said Farke, who confirmed he is yet to make a final decision on whether to loan out the Irish youngster this month after fresh reports Charlton is interested. "I have to be convinced in each and every training session and I was pretty pleased with Adam in the last few weeks. We are not forced to rest too many players.
"On that (loan move) no final decision. There are a few days left but it is not a topic right now. I am not willing to give away any strikers. It just takes an injury or a suspension. You need three strikers to be competitive on this level. No information at this moment to add."