‘I love the club’ - Norwich City confirm Ivo Pinto exit
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Ivo Pinto will leave Norwich City when his contract expires this summer - with one final farewell appearance in next week’s celebration match at Carrow Road for former team mates Wes Hoolahan and Russell Martin.
Pinto was out of contract at the end of the season and the club confirmed on Friday lunchtime the Portuguese right back will move on officially on June 30.
The popular former captain made 94 appearances following his move from Dinano Zagreb in 2016.
“It has been an amazing experience and I am really grateful,” he said. “To play in the Premier League for this club was brilliant and to play in the Championship was also amazing, and now I am really glad the club is back where it belongs.
“I love the club and the support that the fans give to the club and to captain the team was really good for me and I am glad I got to do that.
You may also want to watch:
“I am a team player and although I have not been playing this season I am happy for the team to achieve what they have achieved and especially for the club and the fans because they deserve this.
“My daughter was born here so I have had an amazing experience and many amazing memories. The love and support I have received has been fantastic, so I am going to miss Norwich for sure.”
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
Pinto will play his final game on Bank Holiday Monday.
“It will be the last day for me at Norwich and to play alongside some of the legends of the club will be fantastic,” he said. “I am really happy that I can be part of that party, especially with Russ and Wes who are two leading legends of this club, so it is a real pleasure for me.”
Head coach Daniel Farke, speaking to the club’s official site, praised Pinto’s professionalism after watching Max Aarons emerge this season.
“Ivo is a quality player and he was there in difficult periods for this club,” he said. “He was also my club captain last season and was there with an outstanding attitude and was always proud to wear the yellow shirt.
“I think how he handled the situation this season with Max Aarons going into his role was outstanding and he was still training on a top level. It’s a sign of his unbelievable quality and personality and he was always supportive.
“He spoke a lot to the young lads and was always trying to give them his experience in order to help them and he was always there for the whole group.
“I will always be thankful to Ivo for what he has done for us and I wish him from the bottom of my heart all the best. He was a fantastic servant of the club and I’m very happy I was allowed to work with this brilliant lad.”