Liverpool chief Klopp slams ‘crazy’ Norwich City fixture
- Credit: PA
Jurgen Klopp is not impressed Liverpool’s Anfield clash with Norwich City is the Premier League curtain raiser on Friday night.
The newly-promoted Canaries kick-off their top flight campaign against the champions of Europe in the first Premier League game of the new season, but Klopp feels his title challengers are already being put at a disadvantage.
Liverpool face Manchester City on Sunday in the Community Shield at Wembley after winning their sixth European crown in June against Tottenham in Madrid. Klopp's club also have a European Super Cup date following the visit of Daniel Farke's squad, and his fellow German insists the first league game should have been put back two days.
"That doesn't sound it's exactly like it should be to me. Who can have this idea? It's crazy," he said. "I would prefer to have played the game against Norwich on Sunday, two more days of preparation.
"Our last game against Spurs was three weeks after everybody played their last game and now we have the first game. Who can have this idea?
You may also want to watch:
"It doesn't sound like it's exactly like it should be.
"I see people are excited and looking forward to it but no one worries about the problems.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
"That's why I have to mention them because no one else sees it.
"And I have a pre-season of problems with big tournaments in Brazil and Egypt which means Sadio Mane comes back to us after 16 days holiday."
Mane and Mo Salah were on African Cup of Nations duty for their respective countries while Roberto Fimino and keeper Alisson Becker featured for Brazil at the Copa America.