Liverpool chief Klopp slams ‘crazy’ Norwich City fixture
- Credit: PA
Jurgen Klopp is not impressed Liverpool’s Anfield clash with Norwich City is the Premier League curtain raiser on Friday night.
The newly-promoted Canaries kick-off their top flight campaign against the champions of Europe in the first Premier League game of the new season, but Klopp feels his title challengers are already being put at a disadvantage.
Liverpool face Manchester City on Sunday in the Community Shield at Wembley after winning their sixth European crown in June against Tottenham in Madrid. Klopp's club also have a European Super Cup date following the visit of Daniel Farke's squad, and his fellow German insists the first league game should have been put back two days.
"That doesn't sound it's exactly like it should be to me. Who can have this idea? It's crazy," he said. "I would prefer to have played the game against Norwich on Sunday, two more days of preparation.
"Our last game against Spurs was three weeks after everybody played their last game and now we have the first game. Who can have this idea?
You may also want to watch:
"It doesn't sound like it's exactly like it should be.
"I see people are excited and looking forward to it but no one worries about the problems.
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
- 10 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
"That's why I have to mention them because no one else sees it.
"And I have a pre-season of problems with big tournaments in Brazil and Egypt which means Sadio Mane comes back to us after 16 days holiday."
Mane and Mo Salah were on African Cup of Nations duty for their respective countries while Roberto Fimino and keeper Alisson Becker featured for Brazil at the Copa America.