Key league and cup dates for Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s EFL Cup first round opponent will be revealed next week, in what will be the Canaries’ opening competitive game of the new season on September 5.
The Canaries will be without a host of their international contingent just a week before the scheduled Championship kick-off, but City’s squad depth is set to be tested following a sizeable summer influx of new faces.
The Football League (EFL) also confirmed on Thursday lunchtime the 2020/21 league fixtures will be released at 9am on Friday, August 21, along with a series of other key early league and cup dates.
The EFL Cup first round draw will take place on Sky Sports News on Tuesday, August 18 (time TBC) with Norwich potentially able to draw rivals Ipswich Town who will not be seeded in the regionalised southern section.
The Championship season, meanwhile, will include 13 midweek match fixtures to ensure the regular league campaign can conclude on the weekend of May 8/9 2021. The play-off finals are scheduled for Wembley stadium over the Bank Holiday weekend of May 29 to May 31 2021.
You may also want to watch:
FA Cup replays will also be scrapped in 2020/21 in a bid to further ease fixture congestion with prize money expected to be halved from 2019/20 because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
City have accepted an invite to enter a development squad into the EFL Trophy, which brings 16 Category One ranked academies into competition against clubs from Leagues One and Two.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
The group stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday August 18 at 1.30pm on TalkSPORT 2.