Key league and cup dates for Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s EFL Cup first round opponent will be revealed next week, in what will be the Canaries’ opening competitive game of the new season on September 5.
The Canaries will be without a host of their international contingent just a week before the scheduled Championship kick-off, but City’s squad depth is set to be tested following a sizeable summer influx of new faces.
The Football League (EFL) also confirmed on Thursday lunchtime the 2020/21 league fixtures will be released at 9am on Friday, August 21, along with a series of other key early league and cup dates.
The EFL Cup first round draw will take place on Sky Sports News on Tuesday, August 18 (time TBC) with Norwich potentially able to draw rivals Ipswich Town who will not be seeded in the regionalised southern section.
The Championship season, meanwhile, will include 13 midweek match fixtures to ensure the regular league campaign can conclude on the weekend of May 8/9 2021. The play-off finals are scheduled for Wembley stadium over the Bank Holiday weekend of May 29 to May 31 2021.
You may also want to watch:
FA Cup replays will also be scrapped in 2020/21 in a bid to further ease fixture congestion with prize money expected to be halved from 2019/20 because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
City have accepted an invite to enter a development squad into the EFL Trophy, which brings 16 Category One ranked academies into competition against clubs from Leagues One and Two.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 9 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
The group stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday August 18 at 1.30pm on TalkSPORT 2.