Jamal Lewis pulls out of Northern Ireland squad
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City left-back Jamal Lewis has withdrawn from Northern Ireland’s international squad with a knee injury.
The 21-year old suffered a fresh knock in City's 5-1 defeat to Aston Villa on Saturday.
The Canaries confirmed the news on Monday lunchtime in a brief statement on their official site that stated he will continue to be assessed by the club's medical staff during the break.
Michael O'Neill had named City's left-back to play in their upcoming UEFA Euro 2020 qualifier against the Netherlands and a friendly versus the Czech Republic.
Lewis' withdrawal sees O'Neill's squad trimmed down to 24 bodies with no immediate plan for a replacement to be drafted in. He has become a vital part of the set-up at Windsor Park, with the news a blow to O'Neill's preparations.
You may also want to watch:
There was concern over Lewis the week prior at Selhurst Park, but his elbow injury wasn't as severe as initially suspected. That prompted his call-up but this new injury has ruled him out of both fixtures.
Boss Daniel Farke spoke post-match regarding how injuries are affecting the Canaries' morale currently, contributing to an under-par performance against their newly-promoted rivals.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
Supporters will be seeking respite from a relentless wave of injuries plighting the current progression of the club's quest for Premier League survival, with Lewis the latest name to add to a lengthy list of casualties.