Canaries legend ‘excited’ for new season as City’s rapid rebuild continues
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
Legendary striker Grant Holt is excited about Norwich City’s return to Championship action, as the Canaries’ rapid rebuild of their relegated squad continues.
The loan arrivals of Spanish left-back Xavi Quintilla and England Under-21 midfielder Oliver Skipp, from Villarreal and Tottenham respectively, have taken the total signings during the summer transfer window to nine already.
With January purchases Sam McCallum and Melvin Sitti also in the mix after initially staying out on loan, and with expected exits of some players yet to be confirmed, Daniel Farke will have something of a new look squad to choose from.
“You don’t just sit around hoping for the best, we do all the work in the background,” former City skipper Holt said. “You’ve got all the targets, you get everything sorted, you’ve always got to have one eye on if you go down or if you don’t go down.
“I think behind the scenes during lockdown we’ve done fantastic. The recruitment department, Kieran (Scott) and everyone, and Stuart Webber, have been getting everything sorted to get the lads to come in.
You may also want to watch:
“So it’s great and if you look at the business it’s pretty similar to what we’d expect in terms of the type of players and the people we want to bring to the football club - and I’m excited for next season.”
Holt was speaking in his role as a club ambassador for City, as a five-year extension of a commercial partnership with local brewery Woodforde’s was announced, confirming that the company’s branding will continue its prime position on the Barclay Stand at Carrow Road during the 2020-21 season.
Asked about the signing of Kieran Dowell from Everton, who previously did well in the Championship while on loan at another of Holt’s former clubs, Nottingham Forest, he continued: “He’s a very good player, I think a lot of the signings that have come in, like Skipp, you look at them and they’re good players, they fit our model.
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 5 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 6 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
- 9 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 10 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
“That’s what you see now with our signings, you don’t see anyone and think you’re not so sure, everyone looks and can see where they’ll fit into the squad and the way Daniel wants to play. They’re the kind of characters that come in, we’ve got a structure and a way of doing things - and the signings will excite the fans, I think.”
You can listen to Holt’s full interview at the Woodforde’s Fur and Feather pub in Woodbastwick above, in the latest edition of the Pinkun.com Norwich City Podcast - click here to subscribe to the show