Canaries legend ‘excited’ for new season as City’s rapid rebuild continues
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
Legendary striker Grant Holt is excited about Norwich City’s return to Championship action, as the Canaries’ rapid rebuild of their relegated squad continues.
The loan arrivals of Spanish left-back Xavi Quintilla and England Under-21 midfielder Oliver Skipp, from Villarreal and Tottenham respectively, have taken the total signings during the summer transfer window to nine already.
With January purchases Sam McCallum and Melvin Sitti also in the mix after initially staying out on loan, and with expected exits of some players yet to be confirmed, Daniel Farke will have something of a new look squad to choose from.
“You don’t just sit around hoping for the best, we do all the work in the background,” former City skipper Holt said. “You’ve got all the targets, you get everything sorted, you’ve always got to have one eye on if you go down or if you don’t go down.
“I think behind the scenes during lockdown we’ve done fantastic. The recruitment department, Kieran (Scott) and everyone, and Stuart Webber, have been getting everything sorted to get the lads to come in.
You may also want to watch:
“So it’s great and if you look at the business it’s pretty similar to what we’d expect in terms of the type of players and the people we want to bring to the football club - and I’m excited for next season.”
Holt was speaking in his role as a club ambassador for City, as a five-year extension of a commercial partnership with local brewery Woodforde’s was announced, confirming that the company’s branding will continue its prime position on the Barclay Stand at Carrow Road during the 2020-21 season.
Asked about the signing of Kieran Dowell from Everton, who previously did well in the Championship while on loan at another of Holt’s former clubs, Nottingham Forest, he continued: “He’s a very good player, I think a lot of the signings that have come in, like Skipp, you look at them and they’re good players, they fit our model.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 Stiepermann opens up about health problems
- 6 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 7 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 8 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 10 Farke hopes 'outstanding' City midfielder can shake off injury issues
“That’s what you see now with our signings, you don’t see anyone and think you’re not so sure, everyone looks and can see where they’ll fit into the squad and the way Daniel wants to play. They’re the kind of characters that come in, we’ve got a structure and a way of doing things - and the signings will excite the fans, I think.”
You can listen to Holt’s full interview at the Woodforde’s Fur and Feather pub in Woodbastwick above, in the latest edition of the Pinkun.com Norwich City Podcast - click here to subscribe to the show