‘I’m getting sick of the beach’ - Canaries legend relieved to make A-League debut
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Wes Hoolahan finally made his A-League debut this weekend and the Norwich City legend admits it’s been a frustrating injury spell for him so far Down Under.
The 37-year-old Irishman came on in the 62nd minute as Newcastle Jets drew 1-1 at home against Melbourne Victory on Saturday, making his first appearance since September.
The Canaries legend was released by West Brom at the end of last season and after spending pre-season with League Two club Cambrdge United, decided to take his family on an Australian adventure, signing a one-year deal with the Jets.
The tricky playmaker made FFA Cup appearances but picked up an ankle injury which needed surgery, keeping him out of action for five months.
"It's very frustrating, I came over here to play some football," Hoolahan said after the draw. "To get injured two weeks before the season starts was very frustrating but I got my head down and was hoping to play the last 10 games, which I'm doing now.
"I'm getting sick of the beach now and just want to play some football."
The Jets extended their unbeaten run under new boss Carl Robinson - who also played for Norwich - to four matches with the draw and Hoolahan has been impressed with the former Wales midfielder's impact.
You may also want to watch:
"I think the gaffer coming in, he's worked a lot on our shape and our detail, he's very hands on and all week we've been working on three at the back, working pockets and space," Hoolahan added, speaking to Fox Sports Football pundits, including former Aston Villa and Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich.
"The boys have got into the momentum that he wants them to play and that's good to see because I the first half I thought we were excellent."
- 1 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
- 2 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 3 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 4 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 5 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 6 Tettey's heartfelt thanks to City fans
- 7 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 8 City transfer rumours: Manchester United defender in the frame
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 10 ‘It’s me, it’s Tettey’ - Canaries legend's best quotes