Canaries linked with Motherwell ace
Michael Bailey Norwich City have been linked with a move for Motherwell striker Chris Porter and may fancy their chances if his current manager decides to take the Scotland job.
Norwich City have been linked with a move for Motherwell striker Chris Porter and may fancy their chances if his current manager decides to take the Scotland job.
Former Millwall boss Mark McGhee was today given permission by Motherwell to speak to the Scottish Football Association about the national team vacancy and should he be given the post, it could throw the Scottish Premier League side's plans for European football next season into disarray.
In turn, it could mean Porter decides his future may lie away from Fir Park.
You may also want to watch:
The 24-year-old striker made a slow start in Scotland after joining from League One Oldham Athletic on a free transfer during the summer, when Motherwell were said to have beaten Norwich and several other clubs to Porter's signature.
The 6ft 1in forward now has 11 goals this season, including five in his last seven outings, and is said to be attracting interest from Carrow Road once more, as well as Derby, Wigan, Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheffield United.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
McGhee would be loath to lose his leading marksman and sources north of the border do not expect anyone to be leaving during January as the club closes in on a Uefa Cup place.
But McGhee may no longer be in the Fir Park hot seat by the end of this month's transfer window, and even if he was to hang around Motherwell, the chance of making a big profit on Porter could be too good for the club to turn down.
Porter scored both goals in Motherwell's Scottish Cup draw with Hearts last weekend, while his highly-rated strike partner Ross McCormack has also been linked with a move away from Fir Park to join Middlesbrough.
The 21-year-old has eight goals to his name this term and is out of contract in the summer, although the striker has said he'd like to stay at the club.
But Porter is the one attracting interest from Carrow Road, who could see the former Oldham man as an ideal replacement for the departed David Strihavka and Chris Brown.