Canaries loanee aims to impress in Trophy to force his way into Shrews’ league XI
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Louis Thompson is aiming to force his way into Shrewsbury Town’s starting XI in League One, as the Norwich City loanee prepares for a chance to shine in the EFL Trophy this evening.
The 24-year-old midfielder's flourishing career has been badly affected by injuries but he is under contract at Norwich until 2022, with the option for a further year.
Thompson returned to Canaries contention last season, after recovering from two serious Achilles tendon injuries, but a dislocated shoulder and a knee injury curtailed his involvement as Daniel Farke's team were promoted to the Premier League.
A season-long loan with the Shrews has followed and manager Sam Ricketts had eased the former Swindon favourite back into action, with both starts coming in the Trophy, alongside nine substitute appearances in the third tier.
Shrewsbury will advance to the knockout stages if they beat League Two side Macclesfield at home this evening, with Thompson having played all of a 3-0 home win over Newcastle United Under-21s last month.
"It's been really good," Thompson told the Shropshire Star, discussing his loan spell so far. "Of course, like any player, you want to play every game that you can.
You may also want to watch:
"But I feel like I have been pretty at it to be fair. It's been a good period of training that I've had. Every player wants to play week in, week out. That can't always be the case.
"But that is what you are pushing towards and I have to make the manager's decision a tough one now.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
"This game against Macclesfield is a big opportunity."
The Bristol-born midfielder trained with the Wales senior squad last summer having earned two caps at U21 level previously.
He joined Norwich in a deal reportedly worth up to £1million in 2014 but has only made 14 appearances for City because of his injuries - having spent most of his first two seasons with the club back on loan at Swindon.
Thompson was involved in pre-season for the Canaries this year but limped off just 19 minutes into the first friendly and a loan move followed once he was fit.