Canaries loanee Duda nominated for award
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City loanee Ondrej Duda has been nominated for a major award in his homeland.
The attacking midfielder joined on loan from German club Hertha Berlin in January and has made eight appearances for the Canaries so far, starting every top flight game since his arrival.
That followed a frustrating start to the season after a change of manager at Hertha, claiming a goal and two assists during nine games for the Bundesliga club.
However, last season Duda scored 11 goals and assisted another six during 32 games in the German top flight, which saw City head coach Daniel Farke describe the Slovakia international as being worth around £25million last summer.
That has earned him a second successive nomination for the 2019 Football of the Year award, which is chosen by the Slovak Football Association and national newspaper Pravda.
The award has been won by former Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik for six years in succession, who is now playing for Dalian in the Chinese Super League at the age of 32 - having won 120 caps for the eastern European nation.
You may also want to watch:
Hamsik is again nominated, as is Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka and former Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel, who is now playing in Turkey for Basaksehir at 35 years old.
Duda has scored five goals in 36 games for his country, who are scheduled to play a Euro 2020 qualification play-off in Ireland later this month, with the winner heading to Bosnia & Herzegovina or Wales for a decider.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 4 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 5 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 6 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 7 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 8 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 9 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 10 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
The winner will then be in the same group as Spain, Sweden and Poland in Group E at the finals this summer.
Duda started three of the eight qualifiers in the group stage, and featured in another two as a substitute, scoring one goal and assisting two others as the Slovaks finished third behind Croatia and Wales.
The 25-year-old came through at Kosice in his homeland, earning a move to Polish club Legia Warsaw in 2014 and to Berlin in 2016. He also won the Peter Dubovsky Award as Slovakia's best under-21 player in 2014.
NOMINEES: Laszlo Benes (Borussia Monchengladbach),Robert Bozeník (Zilina), Martin Dubravka (Newcastle Utd), Ondrej Duda (Hertha Berlin/Norwich City), Dominik Greif (Slovan Bratislava), Marek Hamsik (Dalien Yifang), Juraj Kucka (Trabzonspor/Parma), Stanislav Lobotka (Celta Vigo), Albert Rusnak (Real Salt Lake City), Milan Skriniar (Inter Milan), Martin Skrtel (Basaksehir Istanbul)