Louis Thompson earns Welsh call up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Louis Thompson has been called up by Wales for a Portugal training camp ahead of next month’s Euro2020 qualifiers.
The 24-year-old endured an injury-hit campaign in the Canaries' Championship title-winning season that restricted him to eight senior appearances.
But Thompson is in Ryan Giggs' 26-man squad heading to the Algarve for six days next week as the Welsh prepare for qualifiers against Croatia and Hungary.
Thompson has been capped by his country at age group level but is one of seven uncapped players in a squad that includes Real Madrid superstar Gareth Bale along with Joe Allen, David Brooks and Dan James.
The central midfielder had battled back from two serious Achilles injuries to be involved in City's pre-season 12 months ago but then suffered shoulder and knee injuries over the second part of the season.
You may also want to watch:
"We've got two tough away games the players are coming into after a long season," said Giggs, speaking to the Welsh official site. "We've got a strong squad coming to Portugal and we've got other players in the Champions League and play-off finals so we need to prepare ourselves in the best possible way for next month."
Ben Davies and Ben Woodburn will be unavailable due to Tottenham Hotspur's and Liverpool's involvement in this year's Champions League final while Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence and Neil Taylor will be taking part in the Championship play-off final.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 5 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 6 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 7 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 9 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 10 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
Other notable absentees include Aaron Ramsey and Ethan Ampadu through injury.
Giggs will announce his squad for the Croatia and Hungary matches on May 29.