Super Mario Vrancic earns Bosnia recall for Euro2020 duel against Teemu Pukki’s Finland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Mario Vrancic’s stunning end to the season for Norwich City has earned him a recall to the Bosnia squad for upcoming European Championship qualifiers.
Vrancic's goals were crucial in helping the Canaries seal Championship promotion against Blackburn and then a title-confirming final day win at Aston Villa.
The cultured midfielder will potentially face club mate Teemu Pukki next month with Bosnia set to face Finland on June 8 followed by trip to Italy on June 11.
Vrancic has not been part of the Bosnian set up since moving to England in 2017 but has been rewarded for an impressive role in the Canaries' Championship success that saw him score 10 goals in 38 appearances.
Bosnia have picked up four points from their opening two qualifiers.
You may also want to watch:
The Balkans' outfit is managed by the legendary Robert Prosine?ki and have a number of established players operating in the top leagues across Europe like Arsenal's Sead Kolašinac and AS Roma's Edin Džeko.
Star man Miralem Pjanic is suspended but Prosine?ki is confident of two strong displays.
- 1 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 2 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 3 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 8 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
"Since I came to the position of the national team coach, I am a great optimist," he told Bosnia's official site. "In this regard let the Finns adjust to us. The players are in good shape and in the team play, motivated, with great desire.
"Pjanic will not play against Finland but somebody else will want and we will try to score with the players we have. We will be together for seven days, which is enough time to prepare. What is extremely important is that we have a great atmosphere in the team.
"We expect a difficult match, but I believe that we have the answer to that we are a better team and I hope to win. Italy is a favourite because it is a football nation that was not at the last World Cup. I do not think that we will fail, but I think we will play a great game."