‘Why haven’t we got officials that know what they are doing. It is a disgrace’ - Warnock on the war path
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Neil Warnock had it in for the referee and the groundstaff after Norwich City ended Middlesbrough’s unbeaten run in a 1-0 Championship defeat.
Marcus Tavernier’s penalty slip proved costly after he slotted past Tim Krul but the goal was disallowed for a double touch.
Teemu Pukki made no mistake with his spot kick but Warnock was fuming referee Harrington opted not to show Jacob Sorensen a late second yellow card for a body check on Sam Folarin. Warnock headed straight to confront Harrington at the final whistle and was still seething in his post-match interview.
“For him to say to me after the game he didn’t think Sam was going to catch the ball, and the ball was only going to go ten yards maximum when you look at it back, 15 at most, and Sam will be through. Why is he telling me that? Because he knows he is completely wrong,” said Warnock. “They all know he should have got sent off. Why haven’t we got officials that know what they are doing. It is a disgrace.
“He tells me Sam is not going to catch it and you look at the video, one cut of grass, he will have three more cuts of grass before he is in the box. Why is he saying that? Is he telling a lie, or did he actually think that? I will have to write it down and ask. Did he see that? Maybe I should ask the referee chief.
You may also want to watch:
“It will come back ‘no he should have sent him off’. What good is that to me?
“That’s the best I have seen him play. I have had some nightmares with him. That’s as good as I have seen him referee and he got it completely wrong there. We are talking about a lad stopping us taking a quick free-kick near the goalmouth, he was warned with four minutes to go that next time it is a booking.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
“Just book him, then he will know not to do it. Honestly the laws of the game, the people running it now, Mike Riley, that was like Mike Riley Part Two watching him.
“He will probably end up running the referees’ association this guy.”
Warnock also reserved a barb for the Boro groundstaff after Tavernier’s slip.
“We have had a few lads slip out there. I might have to give the groundsman a rollicking,” he said. “It was a game of two penalties. I don’t think Marcus (Bettinelli) has had a save to make. They are a really good side, which makes it more disappointing really.”