Canaries midfielder scores first goal in almost four years during EFL Trophy win for loan club Shrewsbury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Louis Thompson scored his first goal in almost four years last night, helping loan club Shrewsbury Town to reach the knockout stages of the EFL Trophy.
Thompson had spoken about his hope of making an impact during the home tie against Macclesfield Town ahead of the game and scored the opener as the Shrews won 3-1.
The 24-year-old flicked a volley in from 15 yards, with the ball clipping the underside of the crossbar on its way in, and played 67 minutes of the victory.
Shrewsbury boss Sam Ricketts has been easing the Canaries loanee back into action, making nine substitute appearances in League One as he continues making his way back from three injury-ravaged seasons.
Thompson's last goal was for Swindon in League One on November 28, 2015, in a 4-0 win at Chesterfield, when he was back for a second loan stint with the Robins - where he had come through the youth system prior to a move to Norwich in 2014 which was reportedly worth up to £1million.
He has since been able to make just 14 appearances for Norwich, due to serious Achilles tendon injuries and then a dislocated shoulder and a knee injury last season, but is under contract until 2022 with the option for a further year.
You may also want to watch:
- You can watch Thompson's goal in the video above
- 1 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 2 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 3 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 4 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 7 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed
- 8 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 9 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round