City star Buendia subject of interest from West Ham last summer - report
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Emi Buendia was reportedly a target for Premier League rivals West Ham United during the previous summer transfer window.
Buendia played a starring role in City's title-winning squad last season, scoring eight and assisting 12 in 38 matches following his arrival from Spanish side Getafe.
Teething issues in the top-flight have seen inconsistent performances from the Argentinean midfielder although four assists in 12 games display his underlying creative qualities.
The Canaries are struggling to adjust to life in the top-flight, as they occupy the relegation zone with seven points.
Buendia has been a major protagonist of their offensive set-up, with key performances in victories against Manchester City and Newcastle crucial to City gaining points.
You may also want to watch:
Whilst the Canaries own form is concerning, Buendia continues to be a source of continued attacking productivity, with Manchester City duo Kevin de Bruyne and David Silva being the only two operators to have assisted more goals than him in the Premier League this term.
Manuel Pelligrini's side have suffered a slump since their 2-0 victory over City as they find themselves without a win since September.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 3 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 4 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 5 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 6 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 7 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 8 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 9 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 10 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
They sit 13th in the table despite holding lofty ambitions to push into the top six of the Premier League.
United possess an abundance of offensive talent with the arrivals of Spanish winger Pablo Fornals and French forward Sebastien Haller bolstering their attacking force in the summer.
Pelligrini also has Felipe Anderson, who signed for a club record fee from Lazio in 2018, and Ukrainian international Andriy Yarmolenko at his disposal but has seen his side struggle to construct chances consistently this season.
According to the Athletic, Buendia was on a list of potential targets for United last summer in their quest for more firepower.
Given his impressive form last season, it remains unsurprising that Buendia's name would have been mentioned as a possible recruit.
Any move would have commanded an eye-watering fee, given City would be reluctant to lose their star talent as they look to retain Premier League survival, especially to a divisional competitor.
With their struggling form and the Chilean boss seemingly coming under pressure at the London Stadium, it remains to be seen whether the Hammers will rekindle their interest in the January window.