Moritz Leitner poised for Norwich City exit
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd
The Canaries are weighing up a late transfer window departure for midfielder Moritz Leitner.
The German playmaker has fallen well down the pecking order at Carrow Road under Daniel Farke and was left out of the 18 on duty in last weekend's FA Cup fourth round win at Burnley.
Farke dismissed the suggestion Leitner's omission at Turf Moor was linked to a potential move ahead of Friday's 11pm deadline, but it is believed the club is willing to sanction a possible loan move in the final throes of the window.
The 27-year-old, who is under contract until 2022, did play a full part in the previous round's cup win at Preston but has not featured in the Premier League since October 27.
Farke had to respond to speculation prior to the festive spell there had been a major fallout, citing the return to fitness of Tom Trybull and Mario Vrancic.
Norwich have since brought in both Ondrej Duda on loan from Hertha Berlin and Lukas Rupp on a permanent deal from Hoffenheim to increase the midfield competition.
City also completed a move for French youngster Melvin Sitti earlier this week, although he was loaned straight back to Sochaux for the rest of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Leitner has made 50 league appearances for the Canaries, since arriving initially on loan from Augsburg in the January 2018 window. The cultured midfielder brought a fine pedigree that had seen him captain his country at under-21 level and be part of a Borussia Dortmund squad who reached a Champions League final.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 7 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Iwan Roberts: My Welsh wish for City keeper
- 10 'It’s difficult, but it’s a nice difficulty' - ex-City man's verdict on Buendia