No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have not tabled a club record bid for Blackburn Rovers striker Adam Armstrong.
Reports on Wednesday evening suggested the Canaries had made their move to sign the prolific 23-year-old by submitting a cash plus player offer of £15m for the striker.
Those reports are wide of the mark, with City understood to have explored a possible deal for the 28 goal striker earlier in the window. They subsequently dropped their interest in Armstrong as Blackburn hold firm on their £20m price tag for their star asset.
It's understood Southampton are the only club to have made a formal offer for the striker at this stage. The latest reports have emerged hours after the south coast club pocketed a reported £30m for Danny Ings, who left to join Aston Villa.
Armstrong has just one year remaining on his deal at Ewood Park and looks set to depart the club this summer. The player does have aspirations of moving to the Premier League after scoring 28 goals in the Championship last season.
Southampton have reportedly been joined in the for Armstrong race by Crystal Palace, who have made contact with Rovers but are yet to lodge an official bid.
Adam Idah was the player mentioned as being a makeweight in any deal, but City rate the Irish international highly and aren't looking to dispense with his services his summer.
- 1 Webber on Farke future and his own contract
- 2 Ferguson knew ex-City captain would excel in management
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Should Farke pick up the phone to Neil?
- 4 'Scandalous, a disgrace' - City chief hits backs at haters
- 5 'Don't give up on us now' - Webber plea to City fans
- 6 Buendia sale crucial to £21.5m profit that helped fund City's summer revamp
- 7 City chiefs 'very proud' of financial results amid Covid-19 challenges
- 8 Webber defends City's summer recruitment
- 9 Giannoulis committed to City survival scrap
- 10 From a magician to a clown. Farke on his critics
The 20-year-old looks set to play a major role in the Canaries Premier League survival mission alongside Teemu Pukki.
City's search for a striker is live, with Jordan Hugill unlikely to remain at Carrow Road beyond the end of the window. The Canaries have received one approach from a Championship club which was subsequently turned down after it failed to meet their valuation of the experienced forward.
Christos Tzolis remains a target with City edging closer to completing a deal for the Greek international. The 19-year-old was a second-half substitute for PAOK as they lost 2-1 to Irish side Bohemians in the European Conference League qualifier.
Another report is suggesting Newcastle United are keen on signing Oliver Skipp on loan.
The Daily Mail is reporting that the ex-City loanee faces a wait over his future as Nuno continues to monitor his progress during pre-season. Skipp has featured heavily in their plans to date, but Tottenham could still send him out on loan. Norwich would among a long list of suitors both at home and abroad.