'He is not even close at the minute' - Cantwell plays in City U23s win
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Todd Cantwell featured again for Norwich City's Under-23s in a 4-2 Premier League 2 win over Nottingham Forest on Friday - but the midfielder has work to do to convince Daniel Farke he is ready for a Premier League recall.
Cantwell and Bali Mumba played the full 90 minutes at Carrow Road for Alan Neilson's development squad, who raced into a three goal lead inside the first 15 minutes.
Jon Rowe notched inside the opening minute before teeing up Abu Kamara a minute later. Rowe then clinically rolled home a third into the bottom corner from the edge of the area, before Sam Sanders reduced the deficit five minutes before the interval.
Tony Springett sealed the win in the 76th minute from Tom Dickson-Peters pass.
City head coach Farke confirmed earlier on Friday Cantwell would again not be part of his plans for this weekend's Premier League trip to Brentford.
Farke previously made it clear the attacking midfielder had to prove he is in the right shape to be considered, after he had missed a large part of the past two months for personal and injury reasons.
That remained the case prior to his second under-23s appearance in recent weeks, after captaining and scoring in a 2-1 win over Birmingham City's U23s.
Cantwell missed out on featuring in the north-east against Newcastle's U23s last weekend due to a back issue that saw him miss two days of training.
- 1 'I wanted to stay' - Normann disappointed by City relegation
- 2 'We will bring players of the right standard' - City boss on missing link
- 3 'Diabolical from day one' - Fans react to a woeful end to a woeful season for City
- 4 Lee Payne: The tricky question Norwich City fans must face up to
- 5 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 6 City Q&A - with Paddy Davitt and Samuel Seaman
- 7 Smith insists City will be back after Spurs' rout
- 8 Aarons an ideal fit for Man United - Rio
- 9 Cantwell set for City return after Bournemouth reject buy option
- 10 City confirm released list with Lukas Rupp to depart
"Todd is not a topic for us (at Brentford). I have made my point," said Farke, speaking at Colney on Friday afternoon. "At the end of last week he was not able to train due to back problems or play at Newcastle for the 23s so he cannot be a topic for the first team a week later.
"It is not a case I lose my nerve and because we lost the Leeds game all the values and principles how we work mean we bring a player back due to panic.
"The first topic is down to him, he has to train for two weeks without injuries or absences. He is not even close at the minute."
Watch a replay of the action from Carrow Road below