City confirm Liam Gibbs signing from Ipswich Town
- Credit: Ross Halls/Archant
Norwich City have confirmed the signing of Ipswich Town's highly-rated youngster Liam Gibbs.
The East Anglian rivals have agreed an undisclosed fee for the 18-year-old, who has signed a four year contract and will initially link up with the Canaries' development set-up.
The central midfielder had been at Ipswich since the age of eight but opted to cut his ties with the Blues amid reported interest this summer from a number of Premier League teams, including Manchester United and Aston Villa.
"I am very, very excited. I am looking forward to starting my journey as soon as possible," he told City's official site.
"It is a new step for me and for my career. I am looking to make the most of it, showcase my talent and hopefully I can help the club keep moving forward. I have seen young players in the past that have gone through the academy and into the first team. Norwich have a reputation for bringing through young players and I just want to be the next one to get into the first team and make things happen.
"I can see a clear pathway for me. Now I am just excited to get started, fulfil my potential and show everyone what I can do."
Gibbs made four senior appearances for the League One outfit, but caught the eye as part of an under-18 side which reached the FA Youth Cup semi-finals last season before losing to Liverpool.
- 1 Farke reveals Tzolis' 'punishment' for penalty gaffe
- 2 PRESSER: Everton v City - Rashica a doubt; Normann and Sargent fit
- 3 Canaries keeper sent out on loan
- 4 Iwan Roberts: Don't blame formations for Norwich City's poor form
- 5 City star pencils in Anthony Joshua night out after Everton clash
- 6 Derby County struggles vindicate Norwich approach for Farke
- 7 Godfrey had out-grown City's Championship quest
- 8 So where's Norwich City's next point coming from?
- 9 Hanley will answer City critics
- 10 Robin Sainty: Not the reaction City boss hoped for...
The Bury-St-Edmunds prospect signed his first professional contract in December 2019 but rejected a new deal on the table, although the clubs have now reached an agreement which avoids the matter being settled by a tribunal.
Gibbs is the latest summer addition for the Canaries at development level following the arrivals of Flynn Clarke from Peterborough and Kenny Coker form Southend.