City old boy links up with Fowler in India
- Credit: Daniel Chesterton/Focus Images
Former Norwich City midfielder Anthony Pilkington has signed for Indian Super League club Sporting Club East Bengal.
Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has just signed a two year deal to coach the Indian Super League (ISL) new boys and Pilkington is one of his first signings. The 32-year-old left-sided player had been without a club since leaving Wigan following the Latics’ Championship demotion last season.
Pilkington is reportedly currently based in Goa at a hotel undergoing a mandatory period of quarantine, in line with coronavirus regulations in his new country.
“SC East Bengal is one of the most popular clubs in India, and to don their shirt in the ISL is a matter of pride,” he is quoted on the club’s official twitter feed. “I know expectations are always sky high when you are playing for SC East Bengal and I am ready to face the challenge head on.
“I am looking forward to working with the gaffer and I believe we have the squad to fight for the title. Next chapter. Delighted to be here in India. I can’t wait to put the red and gold shirt on.”
You may also want to watch:
Pilkington spent three years at Norwich, after being signed by Paul Lambert in 2011 from Huddersfield, and broke into the Republic of Ireland set up during his spell at Carrow Road. The cultured wide player notched eight goals in his first campaign in the Premier League and memorably scored a flying header to beat Manchester United the following season at Carrow Road under Chris Hughton.
The ex-Stockport trainee moved onto Cardiff for a reported £1m in 2014 where he made 103 league appearances for the Bluebirds.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win