City Q&A: So long Jamal. What next?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s Championship countdown is underway but Jamal Lewis will not be part of the club’s fightback.
Lewis is poised to seal a swift return to the Premier League on Tuesday when he undergoes a Newcastle medical after the Canaries accepted the Magpies’ offer late on Sunday night for the 22-year-old full back.
Daniel Farke cautioned ahead of the Luton Town League Cup defeat he expected serious interest in the club’s best young talent between now and the end of the transfer window, and Newcastle have met Norwich’s valuation of a player who they polished in the Canaries’ academy before Farke fast-tracked him into his senior plans.
With Lewis set to depart, Xavi Quintilla and Sam McCallum now come firmly into the mix. While Sam Byram is another option when he returns from a second operation on an original hamstring injury that curtailed his run at left back in the Premier League at Lewis’ expense.
Are you happy the solution is already in the building for who takes over Lewis’ mantle or would you want City to cast the net again in the transfer market? Plus, can Norwich manage to hold onto the rest of their highly-rated young talent?
You may also want to watch:
Ben Gibson was the 11th new face unveiled prior to the Hatters’ cup defeat. The Burnley centre back has not played any football for the past two seasons but would you throw him in a Huddersfield from the start, and who misses out?
City’s squad depth was tested at Kenilworth Road with 20 call offs for a variety of reasons contributing to a 3-1 first round defeat. How do you reflect on that false start at Luton and will it have any bearing on the Championship opener?
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 5 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 8 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
• Recap what was discussed with Paddy and Connor in the window above in our regular Pinkun Monday debate slot.