City Q&A: So long Jamal. What next?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s Championship countdown is underway but Jamal Lewis will not be part of the club’s fightback.
Lewis is poised to seal a swift return to the Premier League on Tuesday when he undergoes a Newcastle medical after the Canaries accepted the Magpies’ offer late on Sunday night for the 22-year-old full back.
Daniel Farke cautioned ahead of the Luton Town League Cup defeat he expected serious interest in the club’s best young talent between now and the end of the transfer window, and Newcastle have met Norwich’s valuation of a player who they polished in the Canaries’ academy before Farke fast-tracked him into his senior plans.
With Lewis set to depart, Xavi Quintilla and Sam McCallum now come firmly into the mix. While Sam Byram is another option when he returns from a second operation on an original hamstring injury that curtailed his run at left back in the Premier League at Lewis’ expense.
Are you happy the solution is already in the building for who takes over Lewis’ mantle or would you want City to cast the net again in the transfer market? Plus, can Norwich manage to hold onto the rest of their highly-rated young talent?
You may also want to watch:
Ben Gibson was the 11th new face unveiled prior to the Hatters’ cup defeat. The Burnley centre back has not played any football for the past two seasons but would you throw him in a Huddersfield from the start, and who misses out?
City’s squad depth was tested at Kenilworth Road with 20 call offs for a variety of reasons contributing to a 3-1 first round defeat. How do you reflect on that false start at Luton and will it have any bearing on the Championship opener?
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 5 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 6 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 7 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 8 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 9 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 10 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
• Recap what was discussed with Paddy and Connor in the window above in our regular Pinkun Monday debate slot.