Captain Fantastic. Who leads City into battle this season?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City wrap up their pre-season planning against Toulouse this weekend - then it is time for the real action to start with the countdown to the Premier League.
Plenty of pundits have already tipped the Canaries for an instant return to the Championship. BT Sport were the latest to predict a swift exit in their big data survey.
Daniel Farke's squad defied the odds last season to win the title and that fighting spirit and togetherness will be put to the test even more against some of the biggest and best in the world.
The question is, when Farke has a fully fit and available squad to chose from who wears the captain's armband?
Grant Hanley looked to be the leader-in-chief this time last summer but it was Christoph Zimmermann who emerged as the Championship season reached a climax. But the Scot shared the triumph at Villa Park when the title was sealed and was prominent as well on that memorable open top bus tour to underscore the unity within Farke's squad.
Zimmermann is expected to return from his knee surgery in the opening weeks of the campaign and his absence has given Hanley and Timm Klose a chance in pre-season to stake a claim alongside Ben Godfrey at the heart of City's backline.
You may also want to watch:
Klose had the armband for the midweek friendly defeat to Atalanta but by his own admission was at fault for the Italians' equaliser.
The battle for a starting spot may go a long way to deciding who Farke opts to place his faith in. The German has made much play of the leadership core to guide many of his younger players.
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 5 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 9 Canaries legend thinks promotion party was fully deserved
- 10 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
Tim Krul would appear to be in pole to retain his place for the Premier League trip to Anfield and a man who was an ever-present last season and is one of the few with genuine Premier League experience should at the very least be part of any debate.
Farke may well opt for the status quo. The City head coach has never publicly placed huge store on who wears the armband. But if you were in his shoes who would you want to lead the team out most weeks in the Premier League?
- Cast your vote in the poll or you if back another option click other and leave your choice of Norwich City captain in the comments section.