Canaries right-back helps England U19s seal comfortable qualifying win over Czech Republic
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Max Aarons kicked off the international break for Norwich City players this afternoon, helping the England Under-19s to a 4-1 victory.
The right-back played the full 90 minutes against Czech Republic U19s in the first of three Group Two games during the current two-week break, in the final stage of qualifying for next summer’s U19 European Championship in Armenia.
The Czechs took the lead in the 10th minute but Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka equalised almost immediately for the host at the Football Association’s St George’s Park headquarters in Burton, after being set up by Angel Gomes of Manchester United – with England senior squad manager Gareth Southgate and some of his players watching the game.
England should have taken the lead just before the break but Manchester City forward Ian Poveda-Ocampo’s penalty was saved. Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher did put the Young Lions in front four minutes into the second half though, after being set up by Saka, who then scored his second of the game in the 56th minute after again being teed up by Gomes.
Reading striker Danny Loader then wrapped up the 4-1 success with five minutes remaining after being set up by Chelsea’s Tariq Lamptey.
International schedule: Key Canaries players set for European qualification action
You may also want to watch:
Games against Greece on Saturday and Denmark on Tuesday (both 2pm) follow at St George’s Park, as the U19s look to seal qualification.
Aarons, who earned his fifth cap today, is unlikely to play in all of the games, as one of the few players in the squad playing regular first-team football.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 5 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 6 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 7 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 9 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit