City player tests positive for coronavirus
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Norwich City defender Rocky Bushiri has tested positive for coronavirus, according to his on loan club KV Mechelen.
The Belgian Under-21 international centre back has no symptoms but is now in quarantine in Belgium and will be re-tested next week.
The 20-year-old, who joined the Canaries in July 2019 but has yet to make a senior first team appearance at Carrow Road after previous loans spells with Blackpool and St Truiden before joining Mechelen, played his last game on October 2 in a 4-1 league defeat at Royal Antwerp.
Mechelen have released a statement on their official site, which reads: ‘Rocky Bushiri has tested positive for COVID-19. The defender was immediately quarantined and will be re-tested next week.
‘In the last tests on COVID-19, one player from the top team, Rocky Bushiri, tested positive.
You may also want to watch:
‘Rocky has no disease symptoms at the moment, but as the protocol prescribes, the rest of the squad will be re-tested after five days on Monday.’
The news comes after Norwich club mate Adam Idah missed the Republic of Ireland’s recent Euro2020 play-off tie in Slovakia after being deemed a ‘close contact’ of a backroom member who initially returned a positive test result.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
That was later adjudged to be a ‘false positive’ following further tests on the individual with Idah re-joining the Irish camp after his own negative test results under the supervision of City’s medical staff.
Marco Stiepermann was the only previous Norwich player to return a positive test result for the virus and missed the first game of the ‘Project Restart’ period last season against Southampton before re-joining Daniel Farke’s squad.
The boss of City’s next league opponents, Norwich fan Paul Warne, will miss Saturday’s Championship game at Rotherham as he is currently self-isolating due to a family member testing positive for coronavirus.