Norwich City 4 SC Bonner 1: Sam Byram makes his mark in Canaries’ practice match win
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Sam Byram served up an assist on his first Norwich City outing as Adam Idah’s brace helped secure a 4-1 win over SC Bonner in a behind-closed-doors practice match on Tuesday night at the club’s German training base.
City took on the fourth tier regional side on the second game of their week-long stay, with Byram making a second half cameo following his move from West Ham.
Idah's early opener was cancelled out by Patrick Schikowski before the Republic of Ireland youth international swept home a clinical second prior to the break.
Onel Hernandez cashed in on Byram's burst to add a third and Teemu Pukki opened his account for the new campaign with a close range finish in the 80th minute from Emi Buendia's rebounded effort.
The lower league side, who compete at the same level as Daniel Farke's former clubs SV Lippstadt and Borussia Dortmund II, provided another competitive tune up in front of a small pocket of City fans.
You may also want to watch:
Todd Cantwell was fit to be included in the 16-man squad and also came on at the interval having sat out the opening friendly against Arminia Bielefeld.
Grant Hanley captained the team with Jamal Lewis again deployed alongside him in the absence of Timm Klose and injured duo Christoph Zimmermann and Ben Godfrey.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 9 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 10 Barnsley v Norwich City in the FA Cup - all you need to know
Idah was supported by Dennis Srbeny and Marco Stiepermann. Michael McGovern was named in goal with Ralf Fährmann on the bench alongside Teemu Pukki and Emi Buendia.
Moritz Leitner was deployed in a deeper midfield role Patrick Roberts and Hernandez offering the width.
Roberts was pivotal to City's opening goal in the ninth minute, driving infield to slot a perfectly weighted pass for the unmarked Idah who turned and fired in the same motion past Omerbasic from just inside the penalty area.
The SC keeper almost gifted Norwich a second in the 18th minute when spilt Philip Heise's inswinging free kick but re-gathered on his goal line.
Idah was heavily involved again in the 25th minute with a run into the channel to collect Srbeny's clipped pass before rolling into Stiepermann to test Omerbasic who produced a flying parry.
Max Aarons' dancing feet tricked his way past two Bonner defenders on the half hour but his clipped cross evaded Hernandez.
Omerbasic conjured a superb reaction stop to claw out Stiepermann's goalbound shot in the 32nd minute following a cheeky no look pass inside from Idah to Roberts.
Hernandez was similarly frustrated by the over-worked keeper shortly after but the visitors levelled in the 36th minute when Schikowski controlled a chip and coolly slotted past McGovern.
But City went back in front through an excellent Idah finish, getting across his marker five yards out to guide Heise's inviting centre past the diving Omerbasic following a clever step over from Srbeny to Leitner's pass.
Byram replaced Aarons at the break, with Cantwell and Fährmann also stepping in from the bench.
SC Bonner's robust approach led to a couple of yellow cards in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, with Hanley minded to have a word with the referee.
Cantwell's rising shot cleared the bar on the hour mark with Norwich hunting a third before Roberts' skied over on the half volley following Hernandez's dart.
Leitner and Cantwell combined with a sharp bout of passing to free Srbeny who in turn shovelled the ball onto Roberts but the loanee choked his shot.
Schikowski spurned a big chance to level in the 67th minute on a rare SC raid when he swivelled and guided a close range shot the wrong side of Fährmann's left-hand post.
Byram made his mark in the 70th minute with a burst to the byline and cut back despatched at the back post by the sliding Hernandez.
Pukki and Buendia were given the final 15 minutes and wasted little time in combining to seal this friendly win - Buendia's blocked shot pounced on by Pukki to score from inside the six yard box.
- Norwich City: McGovern (Fährmann 45), Aarons (Byram 45), Hanley, Lewis, Heise, Leitner, Roberts (Buendia 75), Srbeny, Stiepermann (Cantwell 45), Hernandez, Idah (Pukki 75). Subs (all used).
- Goals: Idah (9, 39), Hernandez (70), Pukki (80)
- SC Bonner (starting XI): Omerbasic, Weber, Schikowski, Holldack, Schmidt, Fillinger, Pjetrovic, Perry, Loffelsend, Schumacher, Fikisi.
- Goal: Schikowski (36)