City defender tipped for major role after freak injury
- Credit: James Wilson/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City loan defender Sean Raggett will prove a huge asset for Portsmouth after overcoming a bizarre injury that put his early season on hold.
Pompey chief Kenny Jackett confirmed the 25-year-old, who moved to the south coast club on a season long loan, is now fit and available for League One duty ahead of this weekend's trip to Sunderland.
Raggett has so far played only five minutes of EFL Cup action after needing stitches in an elbow wound sustained in a behind-closed-doors pre-season friendly against Brighton.
That continued a theme for the former Lincoln powerhouse, who has seen the past two seasons blighted by injuries since his Canaries' move that included an ankle operation and a gashed face from previous loan stints.
"He will bring a lot to the team this year," boss Jackett told the Portsmouth News. "The lad missed a bit of pre-season, not much of it, due to an elbow injury and, while it has been slightly sore and not broken, it has been very sensitive and restricted his movement.
You may also want to watch:
"It's improving all the time. Whereas if he now fell on it and got another knock I think it would be sore but wouldn't come off, he is tough enough to go through that last bit of pain.
"Sean has full range of movement when running and moving, which is very important for that type of injury.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 4 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 8 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 9 City keeper issues injury update
- 10 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
"Although it was only five minutes against Birmingham, I wanted to give Sean a little a taste of the atmosphere.
"He is a slightly different type of centre-back to the others, but similarly an effective one, and one that will be pushing hard to get into the team.
"He probably has a little more power in terms of both boxes and the first ball, that will be a major strength."