WATCH: Soto’s brace on his US debut
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City striker Sebastian Soto got his US senior career off to a bang with a debut brace in Monday’s 6-2 friendly win over Panama in Austria.
Soto, currently on loan at Dutch second tier club SC Telstar, continued his prolific start to the season with two headed finishes in a 13 minute second half cameo for Gregg Berhalter’s young squad.
The 20-year-old joined Norwich on a free transfer in the summer, after leaving Hannover, but was farmed out to Telstar when work permit regulations ruled him out of Daniel Farke’s immediate plans.
The frontman is expected to stay on loan in the second part of the season with Teemu Pukki, Jordan Hugill and Adam Idah spearheading the Canaries’ Championship promotion push, although City may explore the option to test him at a higher level than Telstar in the new year.
Soto admitted recently he was undecided over his international future before he was selected by the US for a European-based training camp. The Californian represented the US at junior level but also qualifies for Chile through his father.
You may also want to watch:
The freescoring striker was an unused substitute in a 0-0 draw against Wales last week, but made his mark off the bench on Monday to make it seven goals in nine appearances this season.
Soto’s brace was matched by Nicholas Gioacchini after Gio Reyna had cancelled out the first of Jose Fajardo’s brace for Panama. Soto finished Sebastian Lletget’s cross at the back post six minutes after his introduction in the 77th minute before Lletget added a fifth. The City ace converted Richy Ledezma’s cross from the right to seal the rout in stoppage time.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
US boss Berhalter is running the rule over new players as he puts plans in place for the delayed start to World Cup qualifying next year.