Canaries striker drops out of Switzerland squad due to injury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Switzerland have confirmed that striker Josip Drmic has had to drop out of Euro 2020 qualification duty, after picking up an injury during Norwich City’s 2-0 home defeat to Watford on Friday night.
Drmic had replaced Marco Stiepermann in the 62nd minute of the game at Carrow Road and initially looked bright, using his pace to close down an Adrian Mariappa clearance and then being shoved off the pitch by Christian Kabasele within three minutes as he threatened to break through on goal - earning the Hornets defender a second yellow card and an early bath.
However, Drmic limped his way through the closing stages with what appeared to be a hamstring strain for much of the last 15 minutes, although head coach Daniel Farke suggested an ankle problem after the game.
The 27-year-old former Bayer Leverkusen striker was due to join up with Switzerland for qualifiers against Georgia and Gibraltar but the Swiss Football Federation have confirmed that St Gallen's Cedric Itten has been called up as a replacement - stating that Drmic will stay in England for checks on a hamstring injury.
The forward joined the Canaries on a free transfer from Borussia Monchengladbach in the summer after regular injury issues checked his promising career in the past four seasons, having been third highest scorer in the Bundesliga for Nuremberg in 2013-14, scoring 17 goals in 33 games.
You may also want to watch:
He has scored once in eight appearances so far for City, a late consolation during a 5-1 home loss to Aston Villa, with tenacious pressing taking advantage of a defensive error.
Drmic - who has scored 10 goals in 35 games for his country, scoring at the 2018 World Cup - is yet to start a Premier League match though and missed three games in August due to a hamstring injury.
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 5 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 8 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 9 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?