Canaries striker drops out of Switzerland squad due to injury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Switzerland have confirmed that striker Josip Drmic has had to drop out of Euro 2020 qualification duty, after picking up an injury during Norwich City’s 2-0 home defeat to Watford on Friday night.
Drmic had replaced Marco Stiepermann in the 62nd minute of the game at Carrow Road and initially looked bright, using his pace to close down an Adrian Mariappa clearance and then being shoved off the pitch by Christian Kabasele within three minutes as he threatened to break through on goal - earning the Hornets defender a second yellow card and an early bath.
However, Drmic limped his way through the closing stages with what appeared to be a hamstring strain for much of the last 15 minutes, although head coach Daniel Farke suggested an ankle problem after the game.
The 27-year-old former Bayer Leverkusen striker was due to join up with Switzerland for qualifiers against Georgia and Gibraltar but the Swiss Football Federation have confirmed that St Gallen's Cedric Itten has been called up as a replacement - stating that Drmic will stay in England for checks on a hamstring injury.
The forward joined the Canaries on a free transfer from Borussia Monchengladbach in the summer after regular injury issues checked his promising career in the past four seasons, having been third highest scorer in the Bundesliga for Nuremberg in 2013-14, scoring 17 goals in 33 games.
You may also want to watch:
He has scored once in eight appearances so far for City, a late consolation during a 5-1 home loss to Aston Villa, with tenacious pressing taking advantage of a defensive error.
Drmic - who has scored 10 goals in 35 games for his country, scoring at the 2018 World Cup - is yet to start a Premier League match though and missed three games in August due to a hamstring injury.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 4 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 5 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 7 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 8 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 9 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder