‘Developing really well’ - Canaries striker gets first senior Ireland call-up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City youngster Adam Idah has been given his first senior international call-up by the Republic of Ireland.
The 19-year-old striker has been prolific at youth levels for his country in recent years and is named in Stephen Kenny’s first squad as senior manager since stepping up from being in charge of the under-21s.
The Cork native joined Norwich in 2017 and impressed consistently at youth levels to earn a new long-term contract and promotion to the first team ranks in 2019.
He subsequently made headlines in January when he became the Canaries’ youngest ever hat-trick scorer during a 4-2 win at Preston in the FA Cup third round.
“Adam Idah at Norwich is developing really well,” Kenny told Sky Sports.
“He’s our most prolific goalscorer at youth level for Ireland throughout all the age groups so he’s been waiting for this opportunity and now he deservedly comes into the squad.
You may also want to watch:
“He can play with his back to goal. There are not many strikers who can do that, and are also very quick. He has all the attributes to be a very good striker.”
Idah has scored five goals in 11 games at under-21 level for Ireland, helping them to the verge of qualification for the Uefa European U21 Championship and to finish fourth at the prestigious Toulon Tournament last summer, losing on penalties to Mexico in the semi-finals - although he did score his spot-kick in the 4-3 loss in the shoot-out.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
He scored regularly at younger age groups as well and joins the seniors for Uefa Nations League games in Bulgaria on Thursday, September 3 and against Finland on Sunday, September 6 - when he could face Canaries colleague Teemu Pukki in that Group B4 fixture.
Idah scored and missed a penalty as Norwich started pre-season with a 6-0 win over MK Dons on Friday, having made 16 appearances for City last season, most of which came from the bench.
City report card: Why Adam Idah can become the perfect City frontman
He joins the raft of Canaries players who will miss a trip to Luton Town in the first round of the League Cup on Saturday, September 5 - with Jamal Lewis and Michael McGovern called up today as well and goalkeeper Tim Krul (Holland) and winger Przemyslaw Placheta (Poland U21s) already called up as well.
Premier League strikers Shane Long and David McGoldrick are the senior strikers in the squad, with Brighton’s rising star Aaron Connolly and Spurs prospect Troy Parrott also in the mix.