City chief Webber on Manchester United job links
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Stuart Webber insists he will never leave Norwich City in the lurch after being touted with Manchester United.
City's sporting director confirmed he has had no contact from the Red Devils, following national speculation touting him with a key role in a new set-up at Old Trafford.
Webber plotted the Canaries' thrilling Championship title win, but has unfinished business at Carrow Road.
"I have to repay Delia and Michael for the support they have shown me and my family. For me to leave now would leave the club in the lurch," he said.
"It is easy now to get plaudits for achieving something fantastic but this time last year there was a lot of question marks over myself and Daniel (Farke). I never felt that support waver from Delia and Michael.
You may also want to watch:
"To leave here would be unbelievably difficult.
"When Daniel committed to his three-year contract I gave him my word. Not that I would be here for three years, but that I am also committed to what we are trying to do here and I am not going to suddenly get up and leave. I would not want to let him and his staff down or the owners. That is from my side.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 4 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 5 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 7 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 8 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 9 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
"If I get a call from Delia and Michael in the future saying my time is up, we have someone better, then that is life. If I can commit to stay longer I will. But there are more important things right now."
Webber revealed the United link sunk plans for a relaxing break.
"It was bizarre," he said. "I went away last weekend with my wife and my Mum was looking after the little one so it was, 'This'll be nice. I can switch off' and we were watching something on the iPad and an email came up from my sister, who lives in Gibraltar. I opened it, and she had written, 'Are you going to Manchester United? It's all over Gibraltar.'
"So I google it. There it was, turned my phone over and I had any number of messages and I thought, 'There goes the weekend of peace and quiet'.
"There is nothing I can do about speculation.
"If Manchester United wanted to speak to me they would get in contact with me or Delia or Michael. They haven't been in touch and I am sure Delia and Michael would have told me if they had.
"All I can do is reiterate what I have said in the past. I love it here, I am grateful for the opportunity I have been given and the support.
"I have spoken about I won't be here forever but I don't see that for a long time.
"When I left Huddersfield I told the chairman I wanted to go somewhere and have a good period of time. That has happened in my career and I have found something I can genuinely say when I have had different opportunities in the past two years not one have I taken any notice of."