‘Fortune favours the brave’ - Mumba hunch hits the jackpot for Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke hailed Bali Mumba’s match-winning impact after a brave call to introduce the teenager in Norwich City’s late 1-0 Championship win over Swansea City.
Mumba and fellow teenager Josh Martin were introduced for the final quarter down the Norwich left, and Farke’s bold move paid dividends when Mumba’s cross was teed up by Emi Buendia for Marco Stiepermann to sweep home an 84th minute winner.
Norwich were pushed all the way by the Swans in a pulsating contest at Carrow Road before moving within a point of leaders Reading following a seventh unbeaten league game.
“It was a bit risky,” said Farke. “It is one thing to have a fantastic idea as a coach but the compliments go to the player. What those two lads did was outstanding and full credit to them.
“Swansea play in their 3-5-2 set up and they had to react because we had more possession in the first half. They changed their base formation at half-time to 4-3-3 with (Andre) Ayew on the wing. I was pretty pleased to have Jacob Sorensen there at the beginning, who is very solid, but after they changed we got the feeling Ayew is so good going forward but not the best defender. We needed a pacy full back and that was Bali Mumba.
You may also want to watch:
“But to play him for the first time in his career there was a gut feeling. Ahead of him we needed more of a number 10 to pin their full back, so I brought on Josh Martin for Przemyslaw Placheta.
“It was brave because when you have such a young player against Ayew it was risky. It could have gone completely in the other direction. Fortune favours the brave. We were not just happy with the draw. We wanted to go for it.
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 4 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
“We started to find Bali with many diagonals to give him the ball and he played a fantastic pass.”