Canaries target has medical at Town
Norwich City's bitter rivals look all set to tie up the signing of Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi. Ipswich Town manager Jim Magilton has confirmed he has agreed a fee with the Magpies for the 26-year-old, thought to be around £2.5m.
Norwich City's bitter rivals look all set to tie up the signing of Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi.
Ipswich Town manager Jim Magilton has confirmed he has agreed a fee with the Magpies for the 26-year-old, thought to be around £2.5m.
“We have agreed a fee with Newcastle for Shola and he spent yesterday at the club having a medical,” Magilton told Town's official website.
“We've had a good chat and things are moving on. He will be with us again today and hopefully we can get it all tied up.”
You may also want to watch:
Ameobi is believed to have been a target all summer for Canaries boss Glenn Roeder, having successfully worked with the striker during his time as manager at St James' Park.
And although it is believed Ameobi is still reluctant to drop into the Coca-Cola Championship on a full-time basis, having spent part of last season on loan at Stoke, Magilton is clearly hoping to bag the player's signature as soon as possible.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 4 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 9 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
Ameobi is behind a host of strikers in the pecking order at Newcastle, including Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith, and Magpies manager Kevin Keegan is hoping to raise some funds with the sale of the striker.
Should Ameobi complete his move to Portman Road, it will probably give current Town striker Alan Lee the chance to move on after finding himself out of the picture at Ipswich.
Championship sides Preston and Crystal Palace have both been linked with the Republic of Ireland international, with Neil Warnocik reportedly offering to spend £550,00 on the target man.
With Roeder's own search for a bustling forward yet to bear fruit, he could be tempted to bring Lee across the Waveney.