Pukki sees off Sterling and De Bruyne to lift fan award
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City frontman Teemu Pukki has beaten some high profile Premier League rivals to be named the PFA fans’ player-of-the-month for August.
Pukki's five goals and one assist included becoming the first Norwich City player since 1993 to notch a top division hat-trick in the 3-1 Premier League home win over Newcastle United.
The Finn attracted 54pc of the votes cast from fans online over a nine-day period to beat Aston Villa and now England defender Tyrone Mings (18pc) into second place.
Chelsea youngster Mason Mount, another call up to Gareth Southgate's Three Lions' squad who scored in the Blues' 3-2 win against Norwich at Carrow Road last month, polled 12pc of the votes. Manchester City's world class duo Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling, along with Burnley's Ashley Barnes, were also on the shortlist.
Pukki will be a key figure in the Canaries' bid for Premier League survival but is now away on international duty for Finland. The Finns host Greece on Thursday before facing Group J leaders Italy on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Pukki's three goals in the qualifying campaign has moved the Finns into second spot with nine points from their opening four games.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Chris Goreham: The importance of Hugill and home schooling