Pukki sees off Sterling and De Bruyne to lift fan award
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City frontman Teemu Pukki has beaten some high profile Premier League rivals to be named the PFA fans’ player-of-the-month for August.
Pukki's five goals and one assist included becoming the first Norwich City player since 1993 to notch a top division hat-trick in the 3-1 Premier League home win over Newcastle United.
The Finn attracted 54pc of the votes cast from fans online over a nine-day period to beat Aston Villa and now England defender Tyrone Mings (18pc) into second place.
Chelsea youngster Mason Mount, another call up to Gareth Southgate's Three Lions' squad who scored in the Blues' 3-2 win against Norwich at Carrow Road last month, polled 12pc of the votes. Manchester City's world class duo Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling, along with Burnley's Ashley Barnes, were also on the shortlist.
Pukki will be a key figure in the Canaries' bid for Premier League survival but is now away on international duty for Finland. The Finns host Greece on Thursday before facing Group J leaders Italy on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Pukki's three goals in the qualifying campaign has moved the Finns into second spot with nine points from their opening four games.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 6 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week