Injured Pukki to miss Finland game
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Teemu Pukki is out of Finland’s friendly in Poland on Wednesday with a toe infection he needed an injection to feature for Norwich City in Saturday’s 1-0 Championship defeat to Derby.
Pukki spurned a chance from the penalty spot when his standing leg slipped at the moment of impact in the second half but the striker managed to play the full 90 minutes before joining up with the Finns.
However, his international head coach, Markku Kanerva, confirmed to the Finnish FA official site on Monday Pukki will not be risked for this week’s friendly but is expected to be available for the upcoming Nations League qualifiers against Bulgaria (October 11) and the Republic of Ireland (October 14).
“He is on antibiotics and we expect him to be with the team on Thursday when we return from Poland,” said Kanerva. “There is some inflammation in his leg and he played on Saturday for Norwich in their Championship match with an injection.”
It is not clear whether Pukki has an issue with the same toe injured last December in the Premier League at Leicester City which curtailed a blistering start to the top flight campaign. The former City player-of-the-year only scored twice from the penalty spot in the second part of a season which ended in relegation, but got off the mark this term in the 2-2 home draw against Preston.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich resume their Championship season at Rotherham United on October 17.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 7 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies