City ace Pukki lands Premier League player-of-the-month award
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Teemu Pukki’s prolific start to the Premier League season has earned him the Premier League player-of-the-month award for August.
Pukki is the first Norwich City player to win the Premier League monthly award and beat off competition from Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Ashley Barnes (Burnley), Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) and Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) to win.
The City striker scored five times, and provided one assist in his four league games, including a hat-trick in the 3-1 victory over Newcastle United.
"It's a big honour. It's been a great start to the season so I'm really happy about it and we now need to start getting more points," he said, on the club's official site.
"I believed in myself that I could score goals at this level but I never thought I would score five in the first four games. It's much more than I thought I would get.
You may also want to watch:
"I couldn't have won this award without my teammates. They've been giving me lots of good assists and I really need to say a big thanks to all of those guys.
"We've been playing good football against some difficult opponents so it's not been the easiest start. We've been doing alright and we can be proud of how we've been playing.
- 1 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 2 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 3 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 4 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
- 9 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 10 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed
"Manchester City is the champions of last year and one of the best teams in the world. It's a big, big challenge for us (this weekend) and I think we're ready. It's a home game and with the support of our fans, I believe we can do something special."