Pukki reveals the secret to City’s success
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s top gun Teemu Pukki puts the Canaries’ Championship promotion charge down to being part of one of the ‘best dressing rooms’ of his career.
Pukki has taken the English second tier by storm this season with 24 league goals but the well-travelled Finnish international insists he is just one cog in the machine Daniel Farke has moulded into title contenders.
The 28-year-old was a coat of paint from adding to his tally in Friday’s 1-0 win over Swansea City, but chasing personal records is not on his agenda.
One more this season would make him the first Norwich player to score 25 league goals since Chris Sutton in 1993/94, while the club record of 31, managed by Ralph Hunt in 1955/56, is still achievable.
“I heard about this but I’m not so much about personal success,” he said. “I haven’t made any targets of how many goals I want to score, because I just want to help the team. The most important thing is that the club is successful.
You may also want to watch:
“But I believe in every game that I’ll score because of how we are playing as a team. I know the other guys will give me chances to score and it has been going well at the moment.
“The way we play suits me really well and I got many assists from the other guys, so it’s been easy. We play really good football with short passes and we create a lot of chances. I think people who are watching us play enjoy it because I know I would be.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 7 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 8 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
“It’s one of the best dressing rooms I’ve been involved in. The new guys who come in are so welcome from the first day and there are some really funny guys here. Stiepi (Marco Stiepermann) had to clean the coach’s car the other day and that’s something I’ve never seen before.”
Farke revealed recently Pukki had done his homework on the Canaries before a free transfer switch but the prolific striker, speaking to Skysports, also made it clear City launched a major charm offensive.
“The coach knew me really well before I came here and was one of the big reasons I did. We had a talk and he told me he knew how to get the best out of me,” he said. “He’s also really good at man management and is a really supportive guy. When I first heard about Norwich’s interests my first thought was that it wasn’t for me.
“I still thought the English Championship was all long balls, but then I saw some clips of how we play and I had a talk with Stuart Webber and the boss and they made me realise that wasn’t the case here.”