Would it make sense to sell Todd?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
I’m not a fan of selling our talented younger players. I was sad to see Ben Godfrey and Jamal Lewis join the ranks of James Maddison, the Murphy twins and Alex Pritchard, but in Todd Cantwell’s case I would find a sale more palatable.
Todd is a (brilliant) niche player; Daniel Farke needs niche, creative talents to make his 4-2-3-1 work and that’s why Todd has progressed as well as he has. However, quite frankly, I’d rather DF be enforced to play a more conventional set-up, preferably 3-4-3, and if DF has got fewer niche player available the more likely he is to make the tactical changes I feel he needs to make.
Cantwell is neither a winger, a striker or a central midfielder. He’s an attacking midfielder that thrives in the channels; precisely the player that is Kieran Dowell. The two players are far too similar to be in the same 11. We have proper natural width, left and right, with (Przemyslaw) Placheta and (Onel) Hernandez.
We have a sensational central #10 in (Emi) Buendia or (Mario) Vrancic, and three capable strikers. There are a plethora of other players on the fringes too.
This is a sale we could cover, and given those links to Leeds the football they play is perfect for the lad. If selling the Dereham Deco also keeps the bank at bay, so be it. Good luck to one of our own.
You may also want to watch:
Midfield Mike Taylor
- 1 City keeper issues injury update
- 2 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 7 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 9 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 10 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill