Injury blow for City midfielder
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
A back spasm injury looks to have ended Norwich City midfielder Tom Trybull’s Blackburn Rovers loan spell.
Trybull was a late call off for Rovers’ 1-1 Championship draw with Rotherham at the weekend. After which, Blackburn boss, Tony Mowbray, revealed scans had uncovered further issues with the back that has blighted his Ewood Park move.
The German was deemed surplus to requirements at Norwich this season for the promoted Canaries, but still has a minimum of 12 months left on his existing Carrow Road deal.
Trybull clocked up 26 appearances for mid-table Rovers, but made a late night phone call to Mowbray on Friday evening to pull out of the Millers’ trip.
“After training, Tom Trybull had a scan on a back problem he’s been carrying for a long time, weeks and weeks,” said Mowbray, with the holding midfielder also missing six games earlier this year with a back spasm.
“He phoned me on Friday night and I said that it didn’t matter, he’s not my player, he’s a loan player, he’s a Norwich City player and has a year left on his contract and that he shouldn’t take a risk with the spasm that he’s got. So we left him out.
“The Under-23s were away at Chelsea on Friday night so I said to him that we’d go with eight substitutes.
“I, more than anyone, would not want to have a weakened bench because I think it sends the wrong message, that’s why you’ve got young footballers. But at that time of night, 10pm, you couldn’t register anyone and all the young players that we have registered were away at Chelsea and didn’t get back until 4am.”
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
- 10 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
Trybull was ineligible for Blackburn’s recent 1-1 Championship draw at Carrow Road.