City On Tour: Dreaded penalty kicks and the Canaries’ curse
Our guys are out in Germany covering Norwich City’s tour. Paddy Davitt delivers the latest postcard from life on the road.
The positivity feels rife among Norwich City fans, judging by the mood on our Pink Un question and answer session at our base in Lippetal.
It was the day after the first friendly against Arminia Bielefeld, when there was some optimistic smoke signals emerging around the extent of Ben Godfrey's ankle injury.
Video from the club's media department showed Godfrey without the protective boot or heavy strapping that prompted a gloomy prognosis from Daniel Farke immediately after Sunday's Gutersloh opener.
Farke delivered mixed fitness news after Tuesday night's 4-1 friendly win over SC Bonner on both Godfrey and midfielder Louis Thompson. One of the posters pondered which of last season's squad might struggle with the step up to the Premier League. It's an interesting debate but in reality everyone in the mix will have to prove they can cut it.
You may also want to watch:
That applies as much to Tim Krul, who is one of the few with genuine Premier League experience, after he was jettisoned by Newcastle and then had to settle for a bit-part role at Brighton.
The vast majority of the signings made under Farke and sporting director Stuart Webber have handled every challenge. Perhaps with one exception. Norwich's penalty record in a season of Championship title-winning success was abysmal.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
City failed to convert six of the seven penalties awarded in what thankfully only became a rather quirky statistic.
So what else would the Archant touring party do after stumbling across SV Lippetal's homely ground?
A filming slot for the Pink Un app (available to download through the App Store on all good smartphones) plus the discovery of a rogue football discarded in a nearby beer garden produced the idea to finish our broadcast with an impromptu penalty shoot out.
Given England's recent success at tournament level from the penalty spot there should have been nothing to fear. Until my bare-footed effort veered horribly wide to much embarrassment.
Shots against the crossbar or a diving save by photographer Paul Chesterton to foil my other colleagues suggested Josip Drmic has nothing to fear, should City be awarded another spot kick.
You can watch the evidence, should you wish, on our Pinkun App