CONFIRMED: Norwich City seal Daniel Adshead signing
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City have confirmed the signing of Rochdale’s highly-rated teenage midfielder Daniel Adshead.
City were touted with a £300,000 move earlier in the day on Tuesday and Norwich have beaten a host of Premier League rivals to the signature of the England youth international.
Adshead will initially be part of the Canaries' flourishing development set-up after signing for an undisclosed fee.
The 17-year-old had been linked to both Manchester clubs and Liverpool in the past but opted to make the breakthrough at Rochdale, where he made 16 appearances last season for the League One club after his debut the previous season two weeks after his 16th birthday.
Dale boss Brian Barry-Murphy told his official site the deal makes sense for all parties.
You may also want to watch:
"For Dan to come right through our academy system and progress into the first-team environment with us is superb for everyone connected with the club and the academy. The move is a reward for his hard work and amazing attitude during that time," he said.
"It also represents an excellent deal for the football club. When a club comes in for one of our players, they have to do so with an offer that reflects the qualities of that player, which is something Norwich have done with Dan.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 8 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 9 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 10 Farke's personal message to City fans
"I've got to know Dan and his family over a period of time. They're amazing people and its humbling to be connected to them. The way Dan approaches every challenge he faces is something everyone, including myself, can learn from.
"We'd like to wish Dan all the best for the future and will be keeping a keen eye on his progress at Norwich."
The England U18 attacking midfielder made a second half cameo in the 6-1 FA Cup defeat to Tottenham in February 2018, and scored the first senior goal of his career in December 2018 in a 2-0 EFL Trophy win over Oldham.
Norwich's success under Stuart Webber and Daniel Farke has been forged on astute recruitment and a commitment to youth with the likes of Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis and Ben Godfrey all starring during the club's Championship title-winning season.
City have been linked with a number of future prospects this summer as they look to continue that conveyor belt from the club's development set-up.
Adshead is the second signing of the summer for Norwich, following a season long loan move for Manchester City forward Patrick Roberts. Timm Klose signed a new deal to stay at Carrow Road, while a host of the club's title-winning squad have also agreed extended contracts.