CONFIRMED: Norwich City seal Daniel Adshead signing
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City have confirmed the signing of Rochdale’s highly-rated teenage midfielder Daniel Adshead.
City were touted with a £300,000 move earlier in the day on Tuesday and Norwich have beaten a host of Premier League rivals to the signature of the England youth international.
Adshead will initially be part of the Canaries' flourishing development set-up after signing for an undisclosed fee.
The 17-year-old had been linked to both Manchester clubs and Liverpool in the past but opted to make the breakthrough at Rochdale, where he made 16 appearances last season for the League One club after his debut the previous season two weeks after his 16th birthday.
Dale boss Brian Barry-Murphy told his official site the deal makes sense for all parties.
You may also want to watch:
"For Dan to come right through our academy system and progress into the first-team environment with us is superb for everyone connected with the club and the academy. The move is a reward for his hard work and amazing attitude during that time," he said.
"It also represents an excellent deal for the football club. When a club comes in for one of our players, they have to do so with an offer that reflects the qualities of that player, which is something Norwich have done with Dan.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 9 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
"I've got to know Dan and his family over a period of time. They're amazing people and its humbling to be connected to them. The way Dan approaches every challenge he faces is something everyone, including myself, can learn from.
"We'd like to wish Dan all the best for the future and will be keeping a keen eye on his progress at Norwich."
The England U18 attacking midfielder made a second half cameo in the 6-1 FA Cup defeat to Tottenham in February 2018, and scored the first senior goal of his career in December 2018 in a 2-0 EFL Trophy win over Oldham.
Norwich's success under Stuart Webber and Daniel Farke has been forged on astute recruitment and a commitment to youth with the likes of Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis and Ben Godfrey all starring during the club's Championship title-winning season.
City have been linked with a number of future prospects this summer as they look to continue that conveyor belt from the club's development set-up.
Adshead is the second signing of the summer for Norwich, following a season long loan move for Manchester City forward Patrick Roberts. Timm Klose signed a new deal to stay at Carrow Road, while a host of the club's title-winning squad have also agreed extended contracts.