Norwich City transfer rumours: Elvis Rexhbecaj prefers Bundesliga stay
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Wolfsburg’s rising midfield star Elvis Rexhbecaj plans to stay in Germany and snub reported interest from the Canaries and Championship play-off hopefuls Leeds United.
City have been heavily linked with the £7m-rated attacking midfielder who has impressed during a breakthrough season at VfL Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga.
The 21-year-old is approaching the final 12 months of his current deal with the Wolves with both SC Freiburg and Bundesliga 2 leaders FC Köln also tracking the youngster.
However, German tabloid Bild report Rexhbecaj is likely to stay at Wolfsburg next season despite reported overtures from England.
Rexhbecaj stepped up from regional football this season and has made 22 league appearances, scoring once and providing one assist.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich will again have to be astute in the transfer market this coming summer to equip Daniel Farke’s squad for a tilt at the Premier League. Sporting director Stuart Webber reiterated earlier this week they are on the look out for unproven potential rather than players with Premier League experience.
A central midfielder is believed to be high on their target list.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 6 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 7 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 8 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 9 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 10 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
Rexhbecaj has certainly blossomed in the Bundesliga this season. He fits the age and potential profile to a tee but if the player feels his short term future remains in Germany that looks a non starter.