Norwich City transfer rumours: Jack Butland linked with Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City is weighing up a January move for England international keeper Jack Butland - if Stoke City drop a reported £25m price tag.
That is the claim from the Sun on Sunday's transfer speculation guru, Alan Nixon, who believes the Canaries are considering whether to bring in the 26-year-old shot stopper in the January transfer window.
The story surfaced hours after Butland was dropped by the Potters for Saturday's 3-0 home loss to Championship promotion hopefuls Leeds, after a poor display in the midweek defeat to Preston continued a dire start to the new campaign for Nathan Jones' club.
Butland was heavily linked with a summer move to Aston Villa, while Premier League rivals Bournemouth and Crystal Palace were also touted as suitors.
The Sun on Sunday report Norwich 'would be willing to risk £12m to £15m' with the keeper's name being discussed at Carrow Road.
You may also want to watch:
The Canaries brought in Schalke 04 keeper Ralf Fahrmann in the close season to provide competition for first choice Tim Krul, who has made an excellent start to the new campaign.
Krul pulled off a string of saves at Liverpool on the opening night before earning three points against his old club Newcastle and thwarted Andreas Christensen with a fine one-handed parry in Saturday's 3-2 defeat to Chelsea.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
Butland is under contract at Stoke until 2021 but the Sun on Sunday suggest he needs top flight football to remain part of the England squad.
LIKELIHOOD: Given sporting director Stuart Webber laughed off suggestions of a move for Simon Mignolet in the summer over the financial package it would take, any move for Butland at the numbers touted would seem a non-starter.
If the keeper is looking for a New Year Premier League opportunity there are no guarantees he could be back in the Championship in six months time. Plus Krul has made a very strong start to the new campaign and with both Fahrmann and Michael McGovern in the mix, City look well set for the season ahead.
Webber and his recruitment team will clearly already be planning for another potential campaign of top flight football, but the timing of this report after Butland was left out for Stoke on Saturday is hardly likely to be a coincidence.