Norwich City transfer rumours: Championship hot shot in Canaries’ sights
- Credit: Archant
Jarrod Bowen is back on the radar for Norwich City with the Canaries and Premier League rivals Newcastle United touted with January interest.
Bowen has been previously linked with City in recent transfer windows and the 22-year-old is arguably the hottest prospect in the Championship after plundering 15 goals in 21 appearances in all competitions this campaign.
The attacker notched a brace to seal the Tigers' comeback 2-1 home win over Stoke City and is sure to attract plenty of top flight interest in next month's window.
Football League World claim on Monday morning City and the Magpies are both monitoring the former Hereford trainee, who is reportedly entering the final six months of his current deal on Humberside, although there is believed to be a one year contract option.
FLW report both clubs have made regular checks on Bowen's eye-catching displays in recent weeks.
You may also want to watch:
City's sporting director Stuart Webber reiterated at the club's recent annual shareholders' meeting Norwich will be active in the transfer window but with a view to signing players who can operate in the top flight or the Championship, should the club fail to stay up.
"There are funds available for January," he said. "But we make no apologies for saying any money we do spend, we spend wisely. We are not going to sign players for a popularity contest. They have to be genuinely capable of improving this team now and the club in the future.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 7 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
"What we have to avoid doing is trying so hard to stay in this league that we chase it again and put ourselves in danger.
"I can talk from personal experience of that over the past two years.
"Is money available? Yes, I would be daft to say otherwise. Our job is to give Daniel the best chance to put a winning team on the pitch.
"If we have learned anything it is in this league money helps but you can spend £200m and go backwards quickly in the Premier League. I am not going to put a figure on it because it will be reported and then held against us in negotiations."
Norwich remain 19th after Sunday's 2-1 home defeat to Sheffield United, four points from safety ahead of a daunting trip to Leicester City.
Newcastle chief Steve Bruce previously worked with Bowen at Hull, and the ex-Norwich defender has made an immediate impact with a 2-1 win over Southampton at the weekend moving them into the top half of the Premier League.