Norwich City transfer rumours: Barbet and Enrich in Canaries’ sights
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Norwich City face competition from Newcastle United and Aston Villa for Yoann Barbet after the centre back confirmed he is leaving Brentford
Barbet rejected a new deal at Griffin Park and will be in demand this summer, and the Frenchman is open to staying in England.
Timm Klose’s future has yet to be announced, while the 25-year-old Barbet was prominent in both Championship meetings against the champions this past season.
Barbet, speaking to Football London, wants his future sorted quickly.
“I’m disappointed not to stay (at Brentford). I would have loved to stay, but it is football. I had the opportunity to sign a contract, but I turned it down,” he said. “I want to try something new. And the other part of football - the contract and everything. So I decided not to sign it.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t know where I will be but I’ll find something interesting for me and for my career. But I spent four years here and it’s been amazing for me, and especially in London - it could have been worse - so I’m really pleased with what I’ve done here.
“Maybe I’ll stay in England, maybe I’ll go to Spain. At the moment I don’t know yet.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
“It’s exciting. I look forward to knowing where I will be. But I’m confident, so hopefully I’ll know soon.”
Meanwhile, AS in Spain suggest both Norwich and fellow Premier League club Watford are tracking Eibar striker Sergi Enrich.
The 29-year-old is another free agent this summer, although talks are reportedly continuing to stay with the mid-table La Liga outfit.
Enrich has notched seven goals and provided four assists in 33 appearances but Watford have already made contact while Levante, Leganes and Real Sociedad have also been touted as possible destinations.
Finally, Millwall will not be offering Ben Marshall another escape route from Carrow Road next season. Marshall re-joined the Lions in January after a bit-part role under Farke but failed to repeat the success of a similar loan spell 12 months earlier.
The 28-year-old notched once in 16 loan appearances but Neil Harris has told the South London Press Marshall is not a player he wants ahead of the upcoming transfer window. The ex-Wolves player is under contract at Carrow Road until 2022.
Barbet looks like a perfect fit for the Canaries, if Daniel Farke and Stuart Webber have targeted defensive reinforcements. With Timm Klose’s future yet to be announced Barbet’s signing would make sense from a financial standpoint. But there would be a question mark over whether he can make the step up to the big time.
If Watford want Enrich, that looks highly unlikely. From this distance, an active agent at work.