David Turnbull at Celtic Park to complete move
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
David Turrnbull is expected to seal his move from Motherwell to Celtic on Friday afternoon - after opting not to join Norwich City.
The 19-year-old attacking midfielder held positive talks with the Canaries, after City agreed a fee with his Scottish Premiership club, before a dramatic U-turn late on Thurday.
The Express reported on Friday concerns over a lack of game-time at the Premier League new boys tipped the balance for the Scottish Under-21 international, who made 34 appearances for Motherwell during a breakthrough campaign.
Celtic pulled out of a proposed move for a player rated the best prospect in Scottish domestic football last weekend, after failing to agree personal terms with the teenager, before re-opening discussions with Turnbull's advisors.
The Canaries led a number of English clubs interested in the 16-goal midfielder, but Hoops' boss Neil Lennon confirmed on Friday morning Turnbull had arrived at Parkhead to complete his medical with personal terms now agreed.
You may also want to watch:
"Thankfully he's chosen us over Premier League teams, which is quite a coup for us. He's chosen us over Norwich for footballing reasons, not financial, trust me on that. This says we can attract the best young talent," Lennon said, speaking on Sky Sports News. "David had options that he was quite right to pursue. We have identified David for quite a while now. He is here in the building and hopefully we get a brief chat with him before he goes off to do his medical. We have had great success over the past 10 or 15 years developing young players and we see David following that pathway.
"He had a sensational first season at Motherwell and we were very impressed with him. We hope things get concluded today and we announce him later on. He'll have the medical this morning and if all goes well we hope he signs this afternoon.
- 1 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries tracking Bosnia midfielder
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bordeaux winger on the radar
- 4 'Criminally underrated' - City ace a huge Euros miss for Villa star
- 5 Sinani ready for a scrap at City
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Premier League forward in Canaries' sights
- 7 Buendia's Argentina call-up leaves Canaries in unfamiliar territory
- 8 Hit or miss? City's Premier League loan history
- 9 From Croatia to Iceland - the mixed fortunes of City's loan stable
- 10 Delia reveals Norwich squad's touching tribute to her late mother Etty
"Could he go straight into the team? Of course he could. It's good to get one over the line and hopefully there are more (signings) to come.
"We need to add to the squad. These players have been playing non stop football for three years. They need help. Some have played over 60 games for a number of seasons. We are not stopping here. We want to inject more quality."