Bakalorz opts to stay in Germany
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Reported Norwich City transfer target Marvin Bakalorz has signed a new deal with Bundesliga 2 club Hannover 96.
The experienced defensive midfielder was one of the staple names touted with a summer move to Carrow Road this summer but Bakalorz revealed he rejected more lucrative offers to stay with 96.
"Of course I could have made more money elsewhere, but I always said that was not all," he said, after signing a new three year deal. "The coach contacted me several times over the phone. Jan Schlaudraff flew through half of Europe last weekend to meet me personally again. Both of them gave me a great appreciation, and told me about their ideas for Hannover 96.
"I can fully identify with this, everyone knows that this club and the fans have a huge place in my heart. It all fits and I'm eager to get started."
City head coach Daniel Farke reportedly discussed Bakalorz with former Hannover coach André Breitenreiter on holiday this summer. The captain was a key figure in Hannover's initial rise to the top tier and will be an influential presence in their bid to bounce back at the first attempt.
You may also want to watch:
"Marvin is a special player that our fans rightfully appreciate, and his 'yes' to 96 is a strong signal for our path to a bright future," head coach Mirko Slomka told Hannover's official site. "I'm looking forward to seeing him."
- 1 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
- 2 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 3 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 4 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 5 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 6 Tettey's heartfelt thanks to City fans
- 7 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 9 City transfer rumours: Manchester United defender in the frame
- 10 ‘It’s me, it’s Tettey’ - Canaries legend's best quotes