‘I don’t get it. It is remarkable. Almost a miracle’ - Farke unhappy at another rough refereeing call in 1-1 Wigan draw
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke was adamant Wigan’s penalty was the wrong call from the referee, with master marksman Teemu Pukki bailing out Norwich City in a gruelling 1-1 Championship draw.
The Canaries edged a step closer to promotion with Pukki’s 27th league goal of the season after Reece James put the Latics ahead from the spot prior to the interval.
Ben Godfrey was penalised for handball after Sam Morsy’s strike hit his leg and deflected onto his arm - a decision that continued a painful recent trend for Farke.
“I can’t understand why we have this period at the moment,” he said. “I don’t get it. It is remarkable and almost a miracle that we are not losing games in this period.
“I don’t want to complain too much. We are all human beings. We all make mistakes but I feel we are in a period where we must handle some unbelievably harsh decisions.
You may also want to watch:
“When I think about Emi Buendia’s three game ban for his red card. The last game, against Reading, when we had two clear penalty incidents and not one penalty.
“Then, here, 30 seconds before the penalty Marco Stiepermann wins the ball against Reece James and it is never a foul but he gives it. Then the situation develops and Ben Godfrey tries to block the ball. It bounces from his leg to his arm.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 "He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed with Norwich
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 4 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 5 City keeper issues injury update
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
“Even if it had just hit his arm then for me it is not a handball because he is so close to the shot, but definitely not after a deflection. No intention.
“I don’t see how the referee can give it. He waits 0.3 seconds and it was his quickest sprint to give this penalty. It was more than harsh.
“In the second half there was an incident with Teemu Pukki. He is an honest guy and he said it was definitely a penalty. He went to shoot and felt a hit against his leg.
“My feeling was this was a difficult game. Wigan is a threat at home. Especially when they get in the lead. They were aggressive in their pressing, so much desire and commitment. It was difficult to equalise.
“We are not dancing on the tables we have a point but with the situation we are in, we take a point. The lads kept their nerves, we equalised and could have won this game.