Hoolahan tries to keep Norwich moving forward in losing cause at Cardiff – as Irish playmaker enters City’’s all-time top 20
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Canaries player watch followed the fortunes of veteran playmaker Wes Hoolahan, during Norwich City’s 3-1 loss at high-flying Cardiff last night. Here’s how his match unfolded...
6 – Grant Hanley deals with long throw from the right from Sean Morrison, just about, then Hoolahan wins a goal-kick off the shins of Morrison.
17 – Controls Ivo Pinto’s throw on the right, plays James Maddison in but he’s clipped by Loic Damour on the edge of the box. Hoolahan crosses and Hanley rises highest but nods header towards keeper Neil Etheridge.
19 – Tries to slip Nelson Oliveira clean through into the left channel but Morrison steps across to intercept.
You may also want to watch:
21 – Dinks a chipped ball over the Bluebirds’ defence but Josh Murphy can’t control to burst through on goal.
27 – Weaves past a couple of challenges but is clipped by Morrison, central Maddison free-kick comes to nothing.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 2 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 3 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 4 Through troubled waters to unexpected success - Farke reflects on spell as City boss
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Di Cunningham: Young talent will not be hindered under Farke and Webber's watch
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 9 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
31 – Dispossess Bennett, plays in Pinto, who wins a corner. Mario Vrancic corner fumbled away by Etheridge.
42 – Stiepermann plays him into the box, loses possession with flick as he beats Sol Bamba but Morrison clears.
45+1 – Reed steels possession, City break through Oliveira, with Hoolahan totally free to his right but selfishly opts to beat his man and fire a weak shot. Hoolahan is absolutely furious but they hug and make up before the break.
53 – Clips Lee Tomlin on the edge of the box, free-kick causes havoc and Ralls thrashes a shot against the underside of the bar which bounces close.
60 – Fills in at right-back after Pinto charged forward but couldn’t reach a long Reed pass, tackles Junior Hoilett and Oliveira counters.
66 – Vrancic takes corner on the left short, Hoolahan loses possession and Mendez-Laing sprints the length of the pitch but heavy touch allows Gunn to thwart.
73 – Robbed by Morrison in midfield but Cardiff move breaks down.
88 – Breaks down the left, crosses but only Alex Pritchard is waiting and Bamba heads away.
Verdict: City’s brightest outlet in the first half before fading, as his 337th appearance brought him level with George Martin at 20th in the club’s all-time appearances list. Still capable of opening teams up at this level but needs a more solid foundation in support.
Rating: 7 out of 10