Celebrations to blame for City conceding
City players have been told to think twice before joining in goal celebrations. Glenn Roeder was furious at the way his team conceded against Wolves in midweek, just two minutes after Leroy Lita had put them 2-0 up.
City players have been told to think twice before joining in goal celebrations.
Glenn Roeder was furious at the way his team conceded against Wolves in midweek, just two minutes after Leroy Lita had put them 2-0 up.
And he believes his players' reaction to Lita's goal was to blame.
“I was very angry at half-time with them, very angry, because when we scored the second goal Leroy, which you want him to do, it is the greatest thing in the world, scoring a goal, but I think it is only the two centre backs that don't sprint up to the other end of the stadium and jump all over Leroy. You're losing concentration,” said Roeder.
You may also want to watch:
“Brian Clough - a legend and rightly so -always said you are at your weakest when you have just scored a goal. You are, because you are still celebrating in your mind, you haven't calmed down, you are not totally in control of what's going on around you, and from kick-off we never recovered.
“The ball gets lumped forward, Doc (Gary Doherty) gives a free kick away, from the free kick we give a corner away, from the second corner they score. And from having a lovely position of 2-0 at half-time it is now 2-1 and game on.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
“It was fortunate if anything that when they did score at least half-time did come pretty quickly and we had 15 minutes to settle them down and break the game so Wolves couldn't do anything about getting at us for an equaliser.
“I know it sounds petty, but it's not, because I have seen it happen too often. Teams score and a minute later they lose a goal and it is because they are not concentrating
“It is so hard to score a goal - to give one away cheaply is absolute rubbish.”