Canaries star Pukki back at Celtic? He would be if Brown had his way!
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It may be more in keeping with the fantasy football of the current climate, but Norwich City hitman Teemu Pukki is a wanted man – by his old team-mate at Celtic, Scott Brown.
The Hoops skipper says he would give the Flying Finn a second chance with the Scottish champions.
Pukki joined Celtic seven years ago from Schalke but scored only nine goals before moving to Brondby where his form attracted Norwich who, in 2018, signed him on a free transfer – and he went on to plunder 29 goals as City won the Championship last season – and was on 11 when the Premier League was suspended.
It is in stark contrast to his spell at Celtic, but Brown wouldn’t hesitate in re-signing the 30-year-old.
Asked which player he would sign from Norwich during a Dafabet Captains Call with Canaries skipper Grant Hanley, Brown said: “I’d bring back Pukki.
You may also want to watch:
“He was quiet at Celtic. He always worked hard and put defenders under pressure.
“But when he first came he didn’t look like a natural goalscorer.
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 5 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 9 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
“When I see him playing with Norwich, he’s obviously had that little bit more experience, he’s flying.
“For a natural goalscorer, I would take Pukki because no matter what you always need one of them. We’ve got Griff [Leigh Griffiths] just now, and Odsonne [Edouard] who can produce that, but you can never have enough firepower.
“He [Pukki] was quiet but a really nice man. Every morning he used to wear the same terrible adidas trainers. They were about eight year old... his barnet was shocking as well!
“When he played for us he didn’t get that much game time, he didn’t get many opportunities. He didn’t probably score the amount of goals that we hoped he would score. He’s went away though and done phenomenal, fair play. He could have ended up falling down the leagues and doing whatever.
“But he’s fought, and fitness was never an issue with him anyway because he was like a Duracell Bunny, he would just keep running.
“I would definitely take Pukki.”
Meanwhile, Hanley revealed which two Celtic players he would love to see at Carrow Road – Griffiths and Edouard.